A short history of TikTok (Hootsuite)
Since the app launched in 2016, TikTok’s user base has grown to include more than 500 million people. It’s also just passed the one billion-downloads mark.
It shows no sign of slowing down, with a whopping 75 million sign ups in December 2018—up 275% from the previous year. Those aren’t the only landmark figures worth noting. The app, which is especially popular with Gen Z, has already courted controversy.
In early 2019 they found themselves in hot water over child privacy law violations. In response, TikTok has increased security measures and launched online safety campaigns, teaming up most recently with Internet Matters. But is TikTok as big a deal as it seems?
Is TikTok a good fit for your brand? Luckily, we have answers.?
Contact us about TikTok stats, demographics, and early brand content to decide if it’s time for your brand to get on board.?
Key TikTok stats:
- In February 2019, TikTok exceeded?one billion installs?from the App Store and Google Play. More than half of these installs occurred in 2018.
- Valued at?$75 billion, TikTok’s parent company Bytedance surpassed Uber to become the world’s most valuable start-up.
- By November 2018, the TikTok app was downloaded?nearly 80 million times?in the United States.
- Sensor Tower estimates?TikTok made approximately $3.5 million in October 2018 from in-app purchases.
- In November 2018, Facebook released Lasso, a “clone” of the TIkTok app that is currently only available in the United States.